Saturday, July 28, 2007

Day Twenty One - What Do You Think About?

There are 2 essential beginning posts to read to understand what this blog is about:
Prelude to 90-day Case History of Mr.Faith and
A Brief Description of COnCEPT Q
I went early to pick up my wife from work (she works at the movie theater which gets me in for free) and I went and saw The Simpson's Movie. Now I know many people don't like The Simpson's because they are vulgar and rude which was my initial reaction to them also. But over time as I was exposed to them from my kids watching them, I would notice the satire in it had many things that are true to life. Well I am not going to defend it here I just wanted to make an observation.

There is a scene where Marge is trying to get Homer to listen to her and she states to Homer that she knows his mind is easily distracted so she wants him to pay attention the best he can. In the meantime there is a view of what is going on inside Homer's head: A toy monkey banging cymbals together, but it even gets to a point when the monkey stops clanking the cymbals and points to Marge with a stern look, thus Homer pays attention.

Are we any different though? When we should be paying attention to something that is very important are we listening intently or do we have some monkey in our head? Here is even a more revealing question; What do you think about when you don't HAVE to think? Take some time to focus on your own thoughts and take note of where your thoughts naturally drift to. Our thoughts can either help us or hinder us in life. It really is worth the time to analyze how you think and see which monkeys occupy the front and center stage of your mind.

Write down all things and begin to notice what things cause you frustration and those things that actually do help you out. You might be surprised. Not long ago I awoke at 3 AM and being unable to go back to sleep I began to think about things. And one of the most common things I think about is COnCEPT Q, I examine all aspects of it and see if there is anything else that I can learn or angles that I have not considered. It does NOT surprise me to always find something new. I can continue to learn even after 20 years of COnCEPT Q in my brain.

When you occupy your mind with things of worth your life has no other choice than to elevate along with your thoughts. Let me give one example that I am sure the girls will like. Over the years, I have loved my wife Rosa, however I can say that some aspects of our relationship could have used improvement. They were Q1 in nature. Like for instance I would be quick to defend myself on occasion and in the heat of the moment say things that might hurt her which would even produce a 'hotter word war'. Once I began to control my responses and answer with love instead of defense our conversations became much more tolerable even in disagreeable times. For the past 8 or 9 months our conversations are very different and at least on my part I am school-boyish in love with my sweetheart! I cannot remember a time that I have ever been so in love with her, even when we first got married. It is a matter of the thoughts that you entertain in your mind. There is a chapter in There Is No Power In Chaos where I talk about building better relationships. It is worth reading. Thanks for your attention and you can now go back to whatever you were thinking about. Hasta maƱana.

No comments: